Training and Continuing Professional Development
We believe that high quality, nurturing continuing professional development and training is the backbone to excellence in professional work and staff morale. We offer continuing professional development training to other professionals, including bespoke events for teams and groups. Our workshops focus on engaged and active learning relevant to participants and their needs and goals. We have had consistently excellent feedback from a variety of qualified professionals and those in training.
Therapy and the Brain
An essential introductory experiential workshop for any counsellor or therapist working with clients with emotional and/or physical health problems.
Saturday, 8th June, 9.30 am – 4 pm, The Academy: S.P.A.C.E. The Coach House, 1A Filey Street, Sheffield, S10 2FF
People with common emotional and physical health problems like anxiety, depression, stroke, head injury or multiple sclerosis, frequently experience cognitive difficulties. This workshop introduces neuropsychological processes and ways of working with cognitive impairments. It will:
- Raise your awareness of basic brain architecture
- Introduce you to key cognitive domains (eg attention, memory, executive functioning)
- Discuss how common cognitive difficulties affect relationships, including with the therapist
- Explore how cognitive impairments affect and limit coping strategies in day to day living
- Explore strategies and tools that can help improve everyday function in people with cognitive problems and increase engagement with therapy.
This event will be followed by seminars/workshops on neuropsychological aspects of developmental trauma, the limbic system, dementias, stroke and acquired brain injury.
This workshop has received excellent feedback when it was run in Manchester for Catalyse (2014-2015), in Derby for the British Association of Art Therapists (2016) and for The Academy S.P.A.C.E (2014 and 2017).
“Great mix of different learning/presentation styles-kept my interest”
“Really interesting topic, thought provoking seminar”
“Generally highly engaging and informative – thanks very much”
“So much valuable information…for personal knowledge and professional practice”
“Pete and Emma were very dynamic, knowledgeable and enjoyable to observe and work with”
Who are we?
Dr Emma Taylor is an independent Clinical Psychologist and qualified CAT therapist with 25 years of clinical experience. She has worked in NHS hospital and community settings with adults with mental health problems, acquired brain injury, dementia and other neurological diseases. Emma was a lecturer for Guy’s Medical School, the Open University and has taught on Doctoral Clinical Psychology Courses.
Dr. Pete Walpole is a Clinical Neuropsychologist working in a regional NHS Clinical Neuropsychology Department. He has a psychodynamic training, a post-doctoral Diploma in Adult Clinical Neuropsychology and the British Psychological Society's Qualification in Clinical Neuropsychology. He teaches regularly on doctorate Clinical Psychology courses and elsewhere in the NHS. Having worked for many years in neuropsychological differential diagnosis of dementias and other conditions, he currently specialises in working with people undergoing brain surgery.
Workshop Fee £100. Concessions may be available, please talk to us.
Past Taylored Psychology Ltd training events have included:
- “Introducing Cognitive Analytic Skills”, The Academy: S.P.A.C.E, Sheffield Psychotherapy and Counselling Education (2015).
- “Cognitive Analytic Therapy and the Brain” for Catalyse, Manchester (2014, 2015).
- “Therapy and the Brain” The Academy: S.P.A.C.E, Sheffield Psychotherapy and Counselling Education (2015, 2017) and British Art Therapists Association, Derby (2016).
Training delivered on behalf of other organisations has included:
- “How Far can Cognitive Analytic Therapy Go? Using CAT with different client populations”. Yorkshire Psychologists Post Qualification Training, Leeds (2015).
- “Introduction to Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT)” for Catalyse Sheffield (2018)
- Teaching sessions for counselling diploma students on anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, post traumatic stress, cognitive behavioural and cognitive analytic therapy. (Sheffield Psychotherapy and Counselling Education (2015 to 2018).
We offer clinical supervision for other therapists, counsellors and clinical psychologists. Dr Emma Taylor is also an accredited Cognitive Analytic Supervisor.
If you are looking for supervision or consultation, please get in touch as we are happy to discuss what you want and how we might help. In some circumstances, we can offer placements for therapists in training.